January 4, 2014

anxiety and the search for peace: part 3 (hormones, baby!)

Somewhere in the last few months it occurred to me that there was a pattern to my insomnia and I started paying attention. This is a bit easier to do since I've been on the same pill formula since I stopped breastfeeding when my son was 8 weeks old. Sure enough, the second week of my cycle is when I can't sleep and I must rely on a number of sleep aids to get me through. So I put a call in to my doc to see what she thinks I should do.

Is it the pill? Is it my post-pregnancy body and one of its many new quirks? Is it because I'm in my mid-forties and starting to experience the many pleasures of peri-menopause? These all sound completely wonderful, but I need to know what to do. I'm dead sick of having insomnia for about a week every month.

Naturally, she's on vacation until the middle of next week. Soon I will begin the hormone experiment in my ongoing quest for better sleep.