June 14, 2011

The Great Physician

I truly believe that God has healed me. There, I said it. Committed it to the blogosphere. Why? Because, I have asked for it. I have been led to parts of the Bible that talk about how critical a role faith plays in how God interacts with us.

This one really hit hard one night:

James 1:5-7, NIV
5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. (emphasis mine)

I have been looking at how people have experienced healing throughout the Bible. Whether it was fertility, or sickness, or blindness or anything else, there is a consistency: faith and interaction. People acted out of faith; prayed in faith; believed wholeheartedly. I don't see anyone who said something like "Well, I've prayed about it but who knows what will happen from here." I'm not saying that never ran through someone's head. Who am I to project?

As for interaction, it always involved more than one person - whether that was a husband, a wife, a priest, a friend, a whole community, or Jesus himself - people prayed for each other for healing.

Now, I'm going to admit that I can't help the thoughts that come to my head that usually start with "what if." However, I am recognizing them as doubt and focusing on God instead.

As if to prove His point, today the message in my mailbox underscored my belief. I subscribe to a daily devotional from Rebecca Barlow Jordan. Here's today's entry:

Day 166

THE GREAT PHYSICIAN

"I am the Lord,
who heals you."
Exodus 15:26

From the Father's Heart
My child, rest in Me. I have given you a prescription for healthy living. When you allow your body to stress out and destructive emotions to run rampant, My healing cannot come. I am not only the mender of broken bones and dreams, but I am the restorer of broken hearts and lives. I am the great physician, and I care for all My patients with tenderness and love.

A Grateful Response
Lord, I bring the pains of a wounded heart and the aches of a broken body to You. I feel Your personal presence surrounding me with quiet assurance. Your touch releases my pent-up emotions, and healing flows through me like a fountain. Lord, You are my great physician.

Simple Truth
God's home is where we can hang our hurts.