November 8, 2011

"The worst is yet to come!"

Okay, nobody is saying that outright. But every time the subject of new parenthood comes up in a conversation with someone who's not a new parent the sentiment is the same.

Get all the sleep you can now, because when the baby's born...

Enjoy this time together now, because when the baby's born...

Take care of those home improvement projects now, because when the baby's born...

You think you're tired now? Just wait until the baby's born...

Enjoy your humanity and self-identity now, because when the baby's born... (okay, I'm kidding, but you get the point). Seriously. I get it. Life is about to be ripped inside out, crumbled up like a giant piece of paper, soaked in baby barf, and thrown against a brick wall so that it will never again even vaguely resemble its current condition. Do I not have enough to be paranoid about without the constant stream of admonitions of everything I will no longer be allowed to enjoy, to indulge in, to fantasize about... criminy. Give a girl a break.

I need to hear more about the miracle of parenthood. About how the change is for the better, how I'll never regret it, how I'll fall in love the moment I set my eyes on my son when they lay him on my breast in the hospital, how deep and moving and utterly profound my life will be as a parent. Does this never occur to people?

Sigh. Enough of my rant. Please return to your regularly scheduled weekday...